Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Our Story {Andrew's Side}


So Sarah asked me to write a blog post about my version of how we started dating.I thought this would be easy but in reality it has been really really hard...

I met Sarah at camp and got to know her as a fellow camp person and Christian, I feel that camp is a great place to meet people as it means that you both have the similar priorities in life (also they have seen you first thing in the morning so she knows I look like a roadkilled wombat first thing in the morning) . Sarah and I became friends over the summers that we were at camp together and as it turned out lived very close to each other, about a fifteen minute drive. As the summer wore on I began to like Sarah quite a bit and was very disappointed that she would not be up week seven. So on the Saturday of the sixth week before she left I gave her my cell number, not a big deal I know but easily the most nerve wracking thing all summer which seeing as I make myself physically sick with worry before meeting the kids on Sundays means I was pretty nervous. We started texting fairly frequently and talking on facebook, I realized that we got along really well and that she was a really great person.

Then came the Fergus Fall Fair, I was supposed to be going with my best-friend Alex, spur of the moment I invited Sarah and asked if she wanted to come. I drove to pick her up and somehow ended up on the wrong street but the right number, I confidently walked up and knocked on the door, to my dismay a guy who had definitely had a few drinks opened the door with a couple days worth of stubble wearing a muscle shirt and track pants, I mumbled asking if Sarah was home and he started laughing and told me I must have the wrong house. I have very rarely been so happy to have gone to the wrong house. Sarah came and we awkwardly talked and walked around the fair with my friends (if any of my friends are reading this now, YOU GUYS ARE HUGE PUTZES!!!!!!) my friends did everything possible to make me feel awkward and they succeeded. After this Sarah and I did fun things like go bowling (I absolutely creamed her no matter what she says) and went to my youth group, I would drive her and we would talk all the way from Elmira to Fergus and back. At this point I was crazy about her and was terrified that she didn't like me.Then one night we were parked out front of her house talking and she was saying something (to this day I have no idea what it was) and all I could think about was how much I liked her and wanted to tell her. As I was thinking this I suddenly realized that she had stopped talking and was looking at me, I came to the realization that I had told her I liked her and hadn't even meant to it just slipped out. There was a moment of stunned silence and Sarah told me that she liked me too. Now that was a great relief, I felt great but then I realized that I hadn't thought of what to do next. I didn't know what to do so we just talked about dating and I asked if she wanted a relationship. I told her she could think about it for a week she didn't need to tell me right then. The next week I picked her up and we went to youth and had fun, and as I drove her home, just as we were getting to Church and Arthur's lights, right by the Vacuum and Electrical place I asked her if she wanted a relationship and she said yes. We both felt that I should ask her parents, her Dad at the time was away for work in Boston and wouldn't be home for a while yet. The next day I went to the corn maze with Sarah's church and had a wonderful time even though I was terrified meeting her friends (I was also terrified that they would get us so lost in that corn maze that even I wouldn't be able to get them out). As it turned out the next day was Halloween and my youth was going to be collecting food for the food bank. A couple hours before Sarah told me that her Dad was in town that night and I would be able to ask him then. Now I was wearing a Moses costume that night when I went over and was terrified of meeting her parents. When I got there I took off my Moses costume, prayed for courage at the steering wheel of my car and went to the door. Her parents told me that they were okay with it and we talked for a little bit and all I can remember is a goofy smile that I was trying to keep off my face for the rest of the conversation. We talked about respect and they were very kind to me for which I am very thankful. I remember leaving for Trick or Eats smiling from ear to ear, we were driving down Arthur Street towards Alma, just before the bends when we officially started dating. I'm sorry that this took so long, I don't mean to ramble, I have been blessed dating Sarah for the past two and a half years and look forward to the future.

Cheers,

Andrew/Stripes

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...