Wednesday, February 12, 2014

5 Reasons Why I Hate Working In The Computer Lab

This semester is different from any other semester I've had so far. I have a lot of breaks in between classes. This means I have to find a place where I can go study... or blog. I tried the library. It's so crowded and it is often difficult to find a seat. And one time it took me 15 minutes until I found somewhere to sit down. Not ideal. That's valuable time that I could be studying... or reading blogs... I tried studying in one of the cafeterias on campus, but there is so much going on that I couldn't focus on my school work. Also people walking by with tasty looking hamburgers is distracting. I tried just sitting in the hall in between classes but the floor isn't the most comfortable place to sit. And people walking by distracted me.I finally decided to go to the computer science lab.

It was great, it wasn't too loud, the people around me are in the same courses so we can talk about the problems we are having with the assignments, people don't walk by too often so I can focus on my work. I thought I had hit the study space jackpot.

Then I started to notice some problems. Which leads me to the topic of todays blog post. Here are 5 reasons why I hate working in the computer lab.

1) The Temperature

The computer lab has two extremes. So hot you would think it was summer and so cold that you need to keep your coat on inside! It changes depending on how many people are in the room. The more people in the room, the higher the temperature.

2) The Odour

The more people in the lab, the more it starts to smell like a gym. Just think about it. A program mainly full of guys, working in the lab for extended periods of time with no windows to open. It gets extremely smelly. The worst part of it is that you don't really notice until you leave the room and come back. Then you think to yourself, "Have I really been sitting in this smell for three hours?!" At least thats what I think.

3) The Slow Computers

Normally I bring my laptop to school. But if I ever forget to and I have to use the computers in the lab I re-discover how much of a pain it is. They freeze, the refuse to save your work, If too many people are working on the computers at once they have a tendency to crash. It's crazy that the computing department may have the worst computers in the school.

4) The Lack of Females

There is hardly ever more that 5 girls in the lab, and there are usually around 30 people in the lab. They guys in my program are great but sometimes I get tired of the "manly talk" about sports and video games.

5) The Lack of Fresh Air

This point kind of ties in to number 1 and 2. There aren't any windows that open. The room gets pretty stuffy pretty quick. It's actually pretty gross.

There you have it! 5 of the reasons why I hate working in the computer lab. It's not all that bad, but these are some of the things that I wish would improve. Maybe someday...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...